Home Breaking Family and pets escape serious injury after Safety Bay house fire

Family and pets escape serious injury after Safety Bay house fire

A family and their pets have escaped serious injury after a fire gutted a Safety Bay home overnight.

Firefighters were called to reports of a house blaze on Port Royal Drive just after 10pm.

Crews arrived to find the garage engulfed by flames with the fire quickly spreading into the property’s roof space and nearby rooms.

Saloam Frazer, who rents the property, told Skeer Media she was at home with her 12-year-old son and friends when the chaos unfolded.

“I had just got out of the shower and put on new pants, my friend had brought me, when the power tripped,” Miss Frazer said.

“A friend and I went out to the metre box and realised the carport was on fire.

“We didn’t hear a thing. My friend grabbed the hose and tried to put it out while I ran back inside.”

Miss Frazer said she went back in to get her son and dog while one of her other friends went and grabbed their rabbit from its cage.

“It all happened so quickly,” the mother said.

“The smoke just became unbearable.”

She put her son and pets in a car, located on the driveway, before a friend drove them to safety at a nearby property.

Miss Frazer stayed behind as she watched the home and her belongings go up in flames.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services said crews got the blaze under control within 15 minutes.

Rockingham Firefighters said they were able to save all the bedrooms inside the home.

Three crews attended including Hope Valley and Murdoch firefighters.

Miss Frazer told Skeer Media her friend refused medical treatment for minor burns that were sustained while attempting to put the fire out.

The mother revealed she wasn’t insured.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services said the fire was started from an electrical fault.